Wednesday, 8 February 2012

On Being a "Real" artist

A few years ago my brother and I were talking about his blog and he commented on how much our egos are tied into the feedback we get on our work, how many comments we receive, how may hits to our site and that resonated with me this week as I dealt with comments or lack thereof on my pieces now hanging in the art gallery in our new library building.

At church on Sunday it was announced by name, that several members had work hanging in the exhibit but my name was left out. I was in the gallery space yesterday and was chatting with a local "professional" artist about her piece hanging there, I am a big fan of her work, but as she walked around, she walked right past my pieces without comment. When I pointed out those were my pieces she went back and her comment was "oh, you used allot of scrapbooking stuff".

These comments or lack there of have been sitting on my heart all week, until I took the time to analyse how I was feeling and how much I was letting my ego affect my feelings. For one, art is a very subjective thing, we have definite likes and dislikes, but I would never snub another artist because I happen not to be a fan of their work. I realize that I do actually get more positive than negative comments on my work. My family and friends are my "fans", my work gives me great peace and joy to create, I am constantly growing and evolving as an artist and that is a good thing.

So all that being said, as I was driving home from errands yesterday I started to smile, I DON'T need their approval, I just need mine. I don't need to continue to think about how others will see my piece when it is completed, if I am happy with it, that is all that counts.

So here are my beloved snow angels as they hang on display.


I am currently taking a lettering class as that is a real weakness for me, my handwriting and lettering are less than beautiful. It is something I want to begin to incorporate into my work so it needs to improve and be more creative in it's appearance


This was the exercise on Sunday and I was so engrossed in it, I burned the rice I was making for dinner. Good thing hubby came in just as it was beginning to smoke!



17 sleeps until our Chilean vacation!! Woohoo!!!!

8 comments:

  1. I love the one on the right the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was worth burning the rice over! Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right! As long as your art makes you happy, nothing else really matters. Keep creating as I think your work is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always remember the quote, "What other people think of me is none of my business," and apply it to what I create, too. It seems to me that whether people think my work is "good" or not is really not my concern...

    Please don't let thoughtless people suck the joy out of your art making!!!

    It's a big, scary risk to show your work in public, and I'm so proud of you for taking the leap! It takes guts to put yourself out there like that, and I am so disappointed that you were treated poorly. Stick with it, and get your name on the list for a solo show at the museum...that is a very friendly venue, and it's so gratifying to be able to share what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops edited, should have read subjective NOT objective, bad grammar on my part!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey M, thanks for your comment. I am leaning towards the teal for sure. Katja might incorporate some of that orange into hers : ) Have a fabulous trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I forgot to tell you I replied this way because you have no e-mail on your profile : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, I just changed it!

      Delete