Tuesday, 1 April 2014

I am no April Fool


"and sometimes you just have to TRUST and take that LEAP, the one that is REALLY scary, to find out if you have the WINGS to fly............................"

A quote I read last week on our journey home from holidays, it pretty much sums up what I have just done with my life. 
Back in January I was working on a list of 100 things I wanted to do this year, some were things I knew I would do, others were just dreams. But sometimes dreams do come true!

As of yesterday I am RETIRED!!!!!!

I have dreamed, and wished and wanted this for the last several years, while financially it is probably not the optimal time, but it is the time for ME. Several things happened to push me to finally have that long conversation with myself and my hubby and together we decided it was right. 
Sunday I turned 55, today I start the freedom part!

I have a long list of goals for this month, some may get done, some probably won't, I want to take the time to learn to slow down and accept I don't have to do it all NOW.

I will be picking up some casual jobs here and there, but only when it works for me (one does need a bit of play money to support their many habits!)

On the creative front, I am slowly getting back into projects-
finishing the second thrummed mitten, 


Started these cabled fingerless mitts on holidays but now that I have it out in the bright daylight I see the cable on the left is not twisted as it should so I am going to rip it out and start over. The cuff has a ladder in it that I was going to live with but take it all the way out and fix that too. 


The large applique project moves along, didn't want to take it out of the machine, trying to not to waste 1 cm of the last of that purple thread. Have run out of that green ricrac too, so am going to have to figure out how to solve that problem before it can be finished. 


Have a super week, I think we may be on the last days of the below freezing weather, daydreaming about riding my bike!
linking up with small blog meet over at Lily's Quilts and Let's Bee Social

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the retirement. Freedom 55 is a wonderful thing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your Freedom Margaret! Maybe now we can get together now and again and have a little hen party! I'm loving your applique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Did your trip to Costa Rica help you to decide you needed to retire? Hee, hee! Looks like you had a wonderful trip. Hope you enjoy your time off now and can find some enjoyable work to fill in the gaps. Your mittens and that gorgeous applique quilt are coming along nicely! Thanks for joining in the Let's Bee Social!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your retirement.It is the best thing ever but don't think you will have lots of free time it just gets filled up with loads of things you couldn't do while working.i love being retired and being really busy(hence the name of my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even crunched under your machine, that applique quilt is so bright and happy! Mittens are cute! New follower via Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Margaret on your retirement and Happy Birthday. Just talked to a quilter acquaintance yesterday andshe and her hubby, both 56, have decided to pull the plug in 2015. You will find that you will fill up the time very quickly but on your own terms. Have FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete