Friday, 9 May 2014

Lots of Finishes!

I have to start by apologizing to my Kamloops friends! They gave me these signed star blocks when I left 12 years ago and it is only now I am finishing the quilt. The top has been done for a long time but languished at the bottom of the "to be quilted" pile.
I am loving crawling all over it reading the signatures and remembering each of you!

My lovely friend Carole at Fresh Off the Frame quilted it for me. She also has a great tutorial for machine binding. I have always been a purist and finished my bindings by hand, but she has made me a convert. SO fast and easy, binding (from my binding scrap bin) was on and done in under an hour. 

       

Close up of the panto she used.



The finished baby sac and matching hat(s). The first hat was too large for a newborn so I adjusted and made a smaller one as well



 This hot mess could be an entire class on what NOT to do. I keeping thinking of my mother saying 
"haste makes waste"
In my hurry to get it finished, I ignored all my own rules. I spray basted it as I have been doing since the stuff appeared in the quilting world, but when I started to quilt it it puckered. So I decided it needed pins as well. 
error #1. I did not pull it apart and start from scratch, I just added pins.
#2. I didn't start in the middle.
#3 I continued to quilt even tho it was puckering again as my mind was not on the task, rather on other things going on in my life.
Now I am really unhappy with it and it will probably never get used for anything.
It is however my first Q2 FAL finish.

Original post here



Another finish from my Kamloops days. It was a block of the month in the now defunct Foundation Piecer magazine. Again Carole did a beautiful job quilting it for me.
I love how it looks with the black table in my dining room, I am loving seeing it hanging there every day.




4 comments:

  1. Oh, that last quilt is a treasure! The star quilt is wonderful, too, and the middle piece is great colors, even if it didn't turn out the way you'd hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are beautiful! I have done that exact same thing, continued on even when I just know I need to stop and redo. . . only to be totally disappointed in the end. I just don't know why we do that to ourselves! It probably won't make much difference but I didn't think your hot mess was a mess at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when I do that to myself, too...ignoring all the warning signs and plowing on. Must be human nature. I wonder if more quilting would help your table runner become more loveable to you? I can't really tell from the picture, but it seems like it might fix things right up. Your quilts look absolutely beautiful where you've put them! (Thanks for the mention, too - I appreciate it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The star blocks quilt is so lovely, and I love your block of the month. It looks like stained glass.

    ReplyDelete