Saturday, 17 January 2015

Hexie-aholic

As my regular readers know, I have become somewhat addicted to English Paper piecing, specifically Katja's hexagons.
It all began with this project, which, no, is not finished, but it's close!
And then Katja wrote a book with the patterns for all those blocks, The New Hexagon, published by Martingale.
Katja, being who she is couldn't stop there, so she came up with a new brilliant plan and off we go again!

She has created The New Hexagon Millefiore Quilt Along, a new design all based on the blocks in the book, take special note of block 44 when you get YOUR copy of the book :) 
Details are in the link above.
There is also a facebook page where there are almost 900 of us from all over the world playing along, oh the eye candy!!


photo from her webpage of some of the rosettes.



my centre and first round

working on fabric choices and fussy cutting for the second round

second round cut, basted and ready to stitch.
One more round after this one to complete January's rosette which will measure approx 36" across when complete.

After all the hours spent prepping that round I needed a little break, so I knit this hat for my niece, it is now the 8th hat I have knit in this pattern. Maybe it is time find a new pattern?.........or not, they all love their hats and I enjoy knitting it.

I have almost all of these blocks pieced, then I promised myself I could cast on mittens for my daughter, apparently a dog at the dog park grabbed one of hers off her hand and promptly ate it!

I will work on the second block as well, because I really want to have this rosette done at the end of the month so I can attempt to keep up!
Hope you consider purchasing Katja's book and playing along with all of us!

Linking up with 
HeLP for Hexie-aholics at sarah did it

10 comments:

  1. They look great Margaret. Who knew this project would be so popular? It's very fun. What is your hat pattern if I may ask...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your hexie's so far, colour is great. Somehow hexies are not my thing, but I love to see everyone's progress. I, too, was wondering about the hat pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your EPP project. It's great to see the old technique being revitalised with new designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This hexi-aholic loves your color choices! I've been waiting for my second book to come as I've misplaced my first one.... That couldn't be caused from all that's happened in the last while eh! When I get mine prepped, we'll have to get together to work on them together! Although by that time I'm sure you'll be on rosette 3!
    Too bad about the dog and the mitten! You know you want to make another! lol
    Take Care!
    hehjude53@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, myyyyy, gorgeousness...Your fabric selection is perfection! Sew pretty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so tempted by the New Hexagon patterns, but really can't commit to anymore handsewing. I love your first block and look forward to seeing more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, am so tempted, but I have to finish the other three I have started. That's my goal this year to finish or progress on some of my WIPs. Yours is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - what an exciting start to your Millefiori quilt! Can't wait to see what you do with the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, your fabric choices are spot on for these blocks. I think I have stash envy!
    Love the hat pattern too...and it's in my color. LOL!

    ReplyDelete