Friday, 10 July 2015

Finish it Up Friday

I almost forgot I promised to post about my only 2015 quilt finish today!

So here it is, affectionately nicknamed "the beast", got a little carried away and it measures 98 by about 120. Somehow got it in my head that I had to use ALL the rows of strips I had sewn.

It was made for a couple who is very special to me and worth every. single. minute. It was a joy to make this as a gift to celebrate their marriage last weekend. I know they treasure it dearly.


I started this quilt back in January with the sorting and pressing of my scraps, then probably spent a month or so cutting strips. After that I sewed and sewed and sewed to assemble the rows. Was SOO happy when that part was done and I could start assembling the rows. It was challenging to get it squared up for the quilter but somehow I managed to do a pretty fair job. You can see the method I used and where the pattern is from in this post.
I used up ALL my blue scraps and made small dent in the green and neutral.
I think I am crazy but I am already contemplating another one in another colour way, but I will stick to a lap size this time me thinks!



My lovely friend Carole did her usual bang up job quilting it, even with my backing miscalculation!
I inset some extra rows to make the backing long enough, just did not assure it was wide enough!


While we were in Vancouver to celebrate the wedding, we attended a birthday BBQ for my sister-in-law, on Canada Day. This guy was kind enough to come into Kits Beach and show off for us!


We had a lovely Sunday brunch with our daughters across from Stanley Park the day after the wedding. 


And this really creepy giant bird lives in the square across from where my oldest daughter works. There are two of them actually, not sure exactly what the city was thinking here...............

Have a great weekend every one!

Linking up with

13 comments:

  1. Great strip quilt. I live in Winnipeg and plan to head up to Peace River next week. Any good quilt shops up your way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your monster quilt. What a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is ginormous! Love all the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeepers! I have a friend who would have a heart attack to see that bird (she has a massive fear of birds)! Your quilt is fantastic - what a super, gorgeous gift. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what patience you have! A really awesome finish...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous visual impact! WOW! I am a serious scrap lover, and have just put in a day working on reds. Your blues are peaceful yet vibrant. It reminds me of the sparkle on the top of water, but you can still see down into the depths. Lucky friends you have!

    Julie @ Pink Doxies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, what a wonderful quilt. It makes me think of water and ocean and peace for some reason. Pat yourself on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cannot tell you how much I adore the colors you used. A fantastic job! And to give it away? Oh, my!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My GOsh - I ADORE that quilt!!!! It turned out so great! I would love to see you do it in another way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is fabulous! I bet you used up a ton of scraps in it. And didn't the quilt weigh a "ton" too? Nice that you had someone else longarm it. Quilting a quilt that size on a domestic would be a good physical workout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is a monster, but worth the work: it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful (and huge) quilt. I just finished a quilt for a wedding gift, but mine was not nearly as labor intensive as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow that is a lot of stitching and hopefully a whole lot of scraps you have used up! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete